About UsHistory

When it first opened in 1982, BSL produced 210,000 tonnes of aluminium per year. Since then, it has doubled in size, and directly employs 1,050 people, while also providing work for over 120 various contract employees.

Planning for the then-known Gladstone Aluminium Limited (GAL) – now BSL – began in the 1970s after extensive bauxite deposits were discovered in Weipa in far northern Queensland in 1955.

Boyne Island stood as a prime location for an aluminium smelter with distinct advantages, including an existing and neighbouring alumina refinery, Queensland Alumina Limited (QAL), and access to natural deep water harbour port facilities.

The economics of aluminium smelting in Gladstone improved with discovery and development of a number of new coal fields in the Bowen Basin region, strengthening continued supply to the Gladstone Power Station.

In 1974, an engineering office was established by Comalco to carry out site selection and environmental surveys, and to determine related infrastructure requirements. This work culminated in a Draft Environmental Impact Study (EIS) based on a four reduction line aluminium smelter. The study was released by Comalco in September 1978 and subsequently received Federal and State Government approvals.

Agreement was also reached between the Queensland Government and the company for electricity to the smelter to be supplied from the new coal-fired Gladstone Power Station.

Site clearing and development commenced in 1979. The first commercial aluminium was produced in February 1982.

30 years of operation

BSL celebrated our 30th year of operations in 2012. We are proudly Australia's largest aluminium smelter and contribute more than $1.4 billion annually to Australia’s Gross Domestic Product.

BSL produces in excess of 570,000 tonnes of quality aluminium per year.